Where is the love?

My family. Today, I realized why I always avoid hanging with my family.
My mom's been calling my sister and I over the past few days because my grandmother's sick and nobody else will help her or take care of her. Allow me to share how much of my family is available to help my poor grandma: an aunt and an uncle in Chester; an aunt and sometimes an uncle in Idaho Falls; a cousin or two here in Rexburg and Idaho Falls (I think). We are surrounded. And let me add that Grandma helps cart these various people around to several different places all the time. But, yet, Grandma still doesn't get assistance when she needs it. We had to have our mother--who is in Missouri--call us and order us over there.
I'm not saying that I mind helping Grandma. I enjoy talking to her and feeling the fire she carries within her--both feistiness and spirituality. And I don't mind giving service to others. What bothers me is the blatant unwillingness to help from family. Kat and I are busy. We're students with several obligations to worry about every day and every week. Why should we have to be the ones to be called on when there are several other able hands around us?

Sorry, don't mean to sound like a nag or a hypocrite; but this is something that's bothered me for years. It's just about time to get it out. Because I hate being pissed at my mother every time she pushes us into this. And I'm tired of wondering where the love in my family goes.
This isn't me being immature, this is me being fed up.

Comments

  1. I have experienced almost parallel experiences in my life-when doing service within our church. One such incident stands out, although there have been others like it. There was one elderly gentleman who lived in a glorified shack in the middle of nowhere. I have seen better garages. This man's home had no insulation, and the patched together roof leaked. Now mind you, he was surrounded by relatives, who seldom lifted a finger to help. So, we went over there a few times to roof, insulate, and sheet rock his place. Many times, a nephew or two would show up and watch us at work. At the time it bothered me. But now, almost eight years later, I look back and realize it was my gain and their loss.
    I find that what seemed to be an unnecessary or unfair chore, with time, turned into a rewarding memory. And the relatives who couldn't or didn't want to help, well, their loss, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, I'm right there with you. I always come out of those situations feeling that much better about myself and life. It's very satisfactory to know that my grandma at least has my sister and I. I do, however, worry about the time when we leave and she's left to the people around here who don't do anything.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts