Who is this creature?

I just came across this quote: The difference between who you are and who you want to be is what you do. At first, I read it and automatically accepted it--I read several quotes on the internet every day, and they typically don't affect me. This time, I thought about it and decided that this concept is wrong.

It seems like everyone's always trying to change themselves or improve themselves, almost as if they're running from something they don't like to think about. I understand the drive behind wanting to find a better way of thinking or a more efficient way to exercise your body. What I don't understand is the fact that the majority of us spend most of our lives running from who we truly are. I think it's a scary concept: that in each person's head is a unique individual who is--in the end--going through life alone, which is what makes a personality.

It's so strange to think of comparing myself to others when I know that I've gone through a completely different set of trials and joys in my life than anyone else...ever. Sure, some people have gone through similar instances; but not one person will have the same way of thinking through any single experience. It's a really interesting concept to think about.

Anyway, my point is: who you want to be is a personal myth that is implanted into our minds by the society we create around ourselves. There's no point in wanting to be something or someone else because you are you. That's something you should really value because there really is no one else out there like you. Young people try to one up each other in uniqueness constantly; what we don't understand is that the act of letting go and just being yourself would make you more unique than putting on that crazy skirt or dark eyeliner or tight shirt.

Humans really are incredible animals when we're not actively trying to sabotage each other. Challenge: Instead of looking outwards to find yourself, start looking inwards--start understanding who you were born to be.

Comments

Popular Posts