This magic moment

Some say that you only see the magic that's happening around you if your eyes are open to it. And, for some, their eyes are open constantly and they're able to get a high from life like it's the most hallucinogenic drug. For me, I only occasionally have my eyes open to the magic that life has stored up for me. I feel like I remember every single one of those moments--almost like I've been sleeping for years; and, for one night, I'm awake and sensing everything around me.
Just now, I was, in a sense, dipping my hands into the water of the past. Sometimes that's a painful endeavor; but, tonight, it was a fantastic one. There's one night in particular that's really pushing itself to the front of my mind. I remember the moment like it was just the other day (that sounds so cliche, but it's true).
It was that one happy summer of mine--the one right before my last semester of college. I had the whole apartment to myself, so I had built a huge fort in the living room and had dragged my mattress out to sleep in it. It was my happy place. It still is. I would go to sleep to black and white movies every night. That's still one of my favorite lullabies.
This night was toward the end of the summer--somewhere close to September. I had spent the day planning things for the Halloween season, seeing as I knew I would get too busy in the semester to think about it. After planning for a few hours, I proceeded to cut out paper stars to some of my favorite Halloween music along with The Rasmus (they're one of my favorite bands; every time I listen to them, it's like hugging an old friend).
My sister came over to spend the night, and we went to sleep talking about how to put together the best banshee and plague doctor costumes. That's another great way to fall asleep, by the way. This magical moment happened in the middle of the night, though:
Big rolls of thunder woke me up at around 3am. There was a small crack in between the curtains of my fort, so I could see the dark sky being lit up by almost continuous lightening. Thunderstorms are pretty rare in Idaho, so I wasn't going to miss this. I didn't want my sister to miss it, either (both of us are used to having a tornado season, so we miss the thunderstorms when they don't come in the Spring). So, I woke her up and got her out of bed; and we sat on the balcony and watched the lightening and listened to the thunder, talking about home and our family, enjoying the night air around us--enjoying this moment that I can hardly describe with words.
I hope I always remember every detail of that night because it was one of those moments that made life seem less painful or difficult. I felt fresh, reborn, and inspired. I get an echo of that feeling every time I think about that night.

To those reading, do you have any memories like this? Any magical moments that you never want to let go of?

Comments

Popular Posts