All the ghosts that are never gonna catch me.

So, it is Memorial Day weekend! It's always been such a second-tier holiday in my mind to the point that it sneaks up on me, and I get no chance to truly think about why this holiday exists. All holidays have purpose and meaning, which is why they've been made holidays. So, why are some less celebrated than others? Why are some slowly being forgotten?
What's really on my mind today is why are most holidays used as leverage to make money more than they are to take the opportunity to celebrate what's being honored on that day? It's seen most popularly on Halloween and Christmas; but, this year, I'm working somewhere that's planning on thriving on those who would rather work in their yard during the holiday than actually use that day to (for once in their lives) be thankful for the protection and sacrifice we receive through our military.
I'm not typically a big patriotic person. Most of the time, I really dislike my country. And I really hate the military--I won't lie. I can't stand what it does to people. I hate that it completely changes a person, making them unmanageable in society after they've served their time. But I can't deny my appreciation for the protection those in the military give to the citizens of the USA every day, especially in such scary times as these.
Most of my family either is in the military and was at one point in their lives. I've got friends from high school who put themselves on the line currently to give me protection and peace at home. I've lost one friend to this pointless war. Anyone who has experienced such a loss understands that one is enough to begin realizing how bogus and emotionally, as well as financially draining this war is.
Regardless, these people who I know and love have gone through this. Some of them have started their day not knowing whether they'd be alive to end their day. That, in itself, is emotionally scarring--not to mention living in harsh conditions, being treated like dogs, and watching friends die around you on what started out as a normal day. And then, when the soldiers come home, they're thought to be these tough people who are untouched by the grief they've seen and felt while out away from their family and friends...and then they're told to suck it up when they do show signs of their PTSD.
And here we are barbequing and watering our lawns, ignorant of just how badly it hurts to be back in the country a soldier's been defending and to have his or her efforts ignored or masked by a day used simply to get things done.
And, in a way, I am bitching that I have to work on a holiday. But most of this bitch session is out of disgust at where we've landed our priorities on days that should be dedicated to the remembrance and honoring of those we've lost and those we're still rooting for. Where did those times go when we still cared about how history has affected us? Where has the respect gone for those around us or the pride in our country? When did the attitude come in that monetary profit is more important than taking a day out of the grind to think about something outside of our personal hemispheres and maybe learn a little something about those who are certainly thinking about us and our safety? Where has it all gone?

Comments

Popular Posts