You make this rockin' world go 'round.

Something got me thinking today about the choice you have about being comfortable with your body. I'm not sure what it was. Anyway, the sister I'm always talking about on here used to have some insecurities about her body. She wouldn't deny it, which is why I feel I can say this in a public forum. Hell, I've had many insecurities about my body, too. In high school, I used to wear a coat all the time because I was ashamed that I had grown boobs! And it took me years to decide that not wearing a bra every now and then is kind of fun and freeing.
It seems to me that it's a trend--girls, even guys, being unhappy with how their body is shaped or certain places hair grows or different birth marks or whatever makes a body unique. And that's my point--we're unique. Every person has their own piece of beauty, and most look at that beauty like it's a burden. I love my boobs, now. And my sister has grown very comfortable and confident in the body she was born with...I'm proud of her for it. And I can imagine my other sister may have a few qualms about her body, now that she's a teenager and more aware of the others around her.
The problem is we compare. I still find myself comparing every now and then--wishing I had that perfect bikini line or knees that don't bend inward slightly or hair that does anything I want it to. The thing is, nobody's body is perfect--obviously! Those who make it look that way work too hard for that outer image.
The day I realized I was truly happy with my body was the day I looked at myself naked in the mirror and thought to myself: what an amazing creation of nature, what a miracle, what beauty I have all to myself. I wasn't thinking about having perfect skin like Scarlett Johanssen or a nice full ass like Beyonce; I was enjoying every last curve and line of my own unique piece of beauty.
Those who know me may think that I'm able to appreciate my body so much because I'm so skinny. Truth is, my small stature gets me down every now and then. I wish I was more curvy, more voluptuous. But that's not how my body was programmed to function. So, I push that aside. Everyone should be able to push aside their little upsets with their bodies. Side note: If you feel you're unhealthy, that's something you should fix. I know I should be exercising much more than I do.
Also, finding comfort in your own body has to do with the clothes you wear. That's something I didn't believe until I started realizing which sizes I needed to actually be wearing, rather than the tiniest size I could squeeze into. Clothes should allow your body to breathe, but still be form fitting enough to look attractive. And attractive differs from one person to the next--some people need a high waistline; for some, a high waistline would look horrible. When shopping for clothes, it's best to utilize that mirror as best as possible. Understand your body and have a rough idea of what looks good on you. And if you don't absolutely love how a certain piece of clothing looks on you, don't buy it. I absolutely hate shopping. It's a dreaded activity that I will put off until my clothes are falling off of my body. But when I do shop, I try to go to my happy place because that's where I want to feel like I am when I'm wearing my clothes.
I know this is a random ass topic for me, but I thought it would be nice to mention it. I hate seeing other people getting so uptight about their bodies; when, really, our bodies are our gift. And every single one of our gifts are different and made just for us. So why make it such a big problem? Learning to love your body is a step closer to learning to love yourself, and who doesn't want that?

Comments

Popular Posts