I knew you well.

Staying at home this week has forced me to remember a certain aspect of my childhood that I've forgotten: guilt, constant guilt. I've noticed that my mom has picked up a certain habit of informing the room what a particular person--usually herself or my father--has sacrificed (which is why us kids should do what she's telling us to do). This habit has brought me back to my adolescent frustrations of why I should mindlessly follow the guilt trip into nothingness.
Let me tell you something: I spent my first three years in college following my mom's every order--despite my living halfway across the country. Because of that, I never really lived--I just did "what was right" and moved along in the single-file line to "heaven".
Listen to me: YOU DON'T GET TO HEAVEN LISTENING TO YOUR MOMMIES AND DADDIES YOUR WHOLE DAMNED LIFE, PEOPLE!
Break out! Be an independent thinker! Everyone around you will like you more and you'll accomplish more in life as a person.
So, don't pay attention to guilt trips planned by your parents. Sure, help them and enjoy them as much as you can; but don't let their language get you down (this goes for everyone--not just parents).

Comments

  1. very much agree with ya. high five!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stopped listening to my parents years ago, and then they died.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that makes me feel warm and fuzzy...I'm sorry to hear that, dude.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts