I wipe my brow and sweat my rust

Today, in a job interview, I was told that my resume isn't very impressive because I haven't been with very many companies for more than 6 months since I left college. From an employer's perspective, I can see how that can be concerning, as that may translate into how loyal I will be for that employer's company. What they don't understand, though, is that I made a decision after college: I'm going to follow my happiness instead of following the money.
Most of the places I've worked for, I've left because they either made me miserable or I've found somewhere else that I felt would feed my soul more than my current position. Most employers don't get this because, in an interview, all they see is someone begging for a bit of their money in exchange for various services. When I enter an interview, it's usually because I've already decided that this place is going to make me happy, and I'm there for them to prove that to me. The interview I went into today swayed my opinion of them a little, as they acted like I was a flake who would up and quit at the drop of a hat.
Honestly, if I'm treated like shit in a workplace, I will just quit; however, I do try to maintain some respect for the business by giving them notice, even if I have to be miserable for another two weeks. That doesn't make me a flake; it makes me more true to myself. If you're not serving me at an equal amount that you want to be served, then why should I stay at a job that will only drive me to drinking?
I'm sorry if I sound a bit defensive in this blog, but that's only because I feel defensive--defensive toward all the companies who only see their employees as worker bees and not actual human beings who have needs other than income. Even the lowest income jobs should be able to make someone happy, if that's their cup of tea; and if that job isn't making them happy, they should be justified in leaving that job with no repercussions from future jobs.

In the end, all I want is to be happy; so I refuse to agree to any employment that threatens my happiness. My happiness is my well-being, and I'll be damned if you try to strip that away from me. And, in my opinion, everyone should have this attitude toward their work because happy workers get shit done. End of story.

Comments

Popular Posts