But if you close your eyes

I had a dream once where I was standing in a familiar field in which golden wheat was growing. This field is huge, and standing in it made it look like the wheat never ended--and ocean of warmth spreading out in front of me. I was looking to the east, where a glorious sunset was bursting out from between the mountains. It seemed strange to me, in the dream; but I wasn't able to realize why it was strange that it was setting in the east until after I woke up and realized that that isn't where the sun sets.

That's come to be my happy place because there was so much warmth, calm, and comfort in that dream. All the reds, oranges, purples, and blues lighting up the sky, causing the wheat's colors to catch fire and radiate that golden glow was completely intoxicating. Everything was quiet except for the wind rushing through the field and the muted talking of my family behind me. They didn't seem to have noticed the sunset, as they were preoccupied the entire dream.

In that moment, though, there was a calm that struck me to my core. I hadn't felt that vast amount of calm before and haven't since. Yet, something inside of me told me that I should be afraid; and I can't help but feel like that dream is what the end of the world will look like.

Comments

Popular Posts